• Community Links

    Driver’s License:

    An out-of-state driver’s license is valid for 90 days in South Carolina. A written exam and eye exam are required. The fee is $12.50.

    Vehicle Registration:

    After establishing permanent residency, SC license plates must be purchased within ten days. Pay taxes on vehicles at Greenwood County Court House before you purchase tag. You must present proof of liability insurance and your current vehicle registration card along with your tax receipt at the highway department. The Motor Vehicle Division of the SC Dept of Highways & Public Transportation is located at 510 Alexander Ave. Phone number is 864-227-6434.


    You must be at least 18 years old and complete your registration at least 30 days prior to an election. A driver’s license or vehicle registration certificate showing your new address is required for proof of residence. The voter registration office is located in Park Plaza at the corner of Monument and Park Ave. Phone 864-942-8648.


    South Carolina has a 5% sales tax and 2% accommodations tax. Property taxes are paid annually on cars, trucks, boats, aircraft, business inventories, equipment, and real estate. For more information, contact the Greenwood County Tax Collector at 864-942-8525.


    CITY Residents – You will recieve all of your utilities (water, electric, gas) through the Greenwood Commissioners of Public Works (CPW). The CPW office is located at 121 West Court Avenue. The phone is 864-942-8100 or toll-free 1-877-662-3360. The website is www.greenwoodcpw.com where you will find a current listing of all rates and fees.

    COUNTY Residents – Duke Power Company, located at 848 Hwy 72 By-Pass NW, (phone 864-227-3868) will furnish electricity. There is no connection charge if you have established credit from a previous utility company or if a current Duke customer having been with Duke for over two years and has paid on time will sign for you. If you have neither of these, the fee can vary from $125 to $175 depending on location, etc. Once you have a 12-month record of paying your bill on time, you can get a refund of this fee less 12% interest, if you disconnect service.

    Cable TV – Northland Cable provides service and is located at 235 North Creek Blvd. Phone 864-229-5421.

    Telephone – CenturyLink may be reached by calling 1-800-733-9045. Basic rate for a residential line is about $20 per month. Installation fee is about $45. Telephone directories are available at the Chamber of Commerce.

    Hunting & Fishing Licenses:

    Basic Fishing for Residents – $10 yr (7/1 through 6/30)

    Basic Hunting for Residents – $12 yr (7/1 through 6/30)

    Combination Fishing & Hunting – $20 for one year
    Sportsman – $50 (to hunt in game management area that the state has leased for people to use)

    Government/Local Municipalities:

    City of Greenwood: 864-942-8412

    Greenwood County: 864-942-8500

    Hodges Town Hall: 864-374-3111

    Ninety Six Town Hall: 864-543-2200

    Town of Troy: 864-746-6100

    Ware Shoals Town Hall: 864-456-7478

  • Upcoming Events

    Check out all our  events for the season!